New St. Peter's Lutheran Church founded and built the church in 1902. It remained in this location until 1968, when it and St. Mark's Lutheran Church merged to create the St. Michael's Lutheran Church of Blacksburg which built a new church where St. Michael stands today.
Shortly afterward, Blacksburg Baptist Church bought the property to form an offshoot congregation, Glade Baptist Chapel. At the time, people thought Blacksburg would develop along Glade Road, instead of the development that eventually took place along Prices Fork Road.
On May 5, 1974 the congregation had grown large enough to sustain itself and disolved the chapel to become Glade Baptist Church. During the 1980s, Glade’s membership became increasingly uncomfortable with the direction of the Southern Baptist Convention. The church became a charter member of the Alliance of Baptists in 1987.
On January 22, 1997 the Glade Baptist Church membership voted unanimously to emancipate itself from the Southern Baptist Convention.
Feeling a need to join a larger denomination, Glade members learned about many before deciding that the United Church of Christ (UCC) most closely aligned with our beliefs. In 1999, Glade began the process of joining the denomination.
Naming this new church with Baptist roots, knowing that we wanted to separate ourselves from the Southern Baptist denomination was a challenge. The name chosen was simply Glade Church.
In April 2003, Glade Church received UCC standing, joining the Shenandoah Association of the Central Atlantic Conference of the United Church of Christ.
Glade Church was the only United Church of Christ church in our association south of Staunton from 2003 until 2014 when a new church tried to start in Roanoke. Glade Church has continued to be a church home for progressive Christians, UCC congregants, and many who come to the church simply looking for a community of unique believers and thinkers.
In 2014, the congregation voted to incorporate and we are now Glade Church, Inc.
The main building of Glade Church was built by the Lutherans in 1902. Sometime between its construction and its closing in 1968 a basement was added. Next door to the church where the shelter stands today was the Glade School.
Once the Baptists bought the property and began to grow, the east wing, an addition to the sanctuary, was added with a basement addition. It was dedicated on January 11, 1976.
The educational wing on the west side was added in 1982. Shortly thereafter updates were done to the basement.
Sometime in the late 1980s the shelter was built.
The main office and area ouside the office was remodeled in 2010.
The educational wing was remodeled adding a kitchenette and the Kroehler Library all in 2011-2012.
- Rev. John Willis
- Rev. Donald P. Reid, Sr. 1974-1980
- Rev. David Moore 1981-1992
- Rev. Kelly Sisson 1993 - 2010
- Rev. Catherine Rolling (interim) 2010 - 2014
- Rev. Susan Verbrugge 2015 - Present